Indivisible Springfield Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Tracy Roberts, Vice President; Melinda Barnhardt, Secretary; Brad Minerd, Treasurer; Board Members Heather Addy and Karen Muska; members Larry Halpern, Henry Jud, Gail Keen, Jan Kushmaul, Tom Kushmaul, Mike Muska, and Janis Tullis.
- Welcome: Tracy Roberts opened the meeting.
- Recap of Ohio Statehouse Day of Training & Action, April 10, 2019: Brad Minerd, Melinda Barnhardt, and Hank Jud attended the 9 a.m. to Noon training presented by Innovation Ohio at the United Way Building, Columbus. Presentations included Bird Dogging (think Senator Jeff Flake caught in an elevator at the U.S. Capitol), Getting the Attention of Statehouse Reporters, and Amplifying Your Impact through Social Media. (For details on Bird Dogging, see https://www.birddognation.org/.) Q&A with State Representative Bride Rose Sweeney, 14th Ohio District, followed. All then transitioned to the Statehouse to unite with Planned Parenthood in protest of the 6-week abortion ban bill (unfortunately passed). Sign up for email updates on Statehouse activity at email@example.com. An Indivisible Springfield retreat featuring the Day of Training presenters is targeted for July, prior to the Clark Co. Fair.
- We Are Indivisible: A Blueprint for Democracy after Trump: Indivisible founders Ezra Levin and Leah Greenberg have announced publication of their forthcoming book by Simon & Schuster, November 2019, prior to the 2020 election. We plan group discussions based on the book.
- Washington, DC Trip, Wed., Sept 25-Sun. a.m., Sept. 29, 2019: Transportation, accommodations, and tickets (e.g., to museum or White House) will depend upon the number going, so a sign-up form will be sent out soon. Thursday to be a lobbying day, followed by weekend tourism.
- Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 27, 2019: The Clark Co. Democratic Party (CCDP) plans to have a float. To ride or walk (a little over a mile) in the parade arrive prior to the 9 a.m. start time. Details to be sent out via email and Facebook as soon as they are known.
- Dark Money Documentary Film: Shown recently at the Little Art Theatre (LAT), Dark Money presents the devastating effects of the “Citizens United” Supreme Court decision, which brought big money into politics by declaring corporations to have free speech. For further details on the organization sponsoring the LAT showing, see https://movetoamend.org/. Available for viewing via Netflix and others. We could consider arranging a showing.
- Announcements & General Discussion: Teena did a great job, getting Indivisible’s story out at the CCDP Freedom Dinner on April 10, 2019. David Pepper will be present at CCDP’s Executive and Central committee meetings, April 17, 2019. Springfield Pride festival will take place on June 22, 2019, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Booth fee for nonprofit organizations is $25; volunteers needed for 8:30 a.m. setup and 4:30 p.m. tear down. Indivisible Springfield is working on a shirt design for ordering at our May meeting. Tom and Jan Kushmaul demonstrated the use of the sound system they are donating to us and storing when it is unused.
- Next Meeting: May 21, 2019. No regular summer meetings – but keep an eye out for summer email/ Facebook/website postings – particularly for the projected July retreat!