Indivisible Springfield Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Teena Siebold, President; Tracy Roberts, Vice President; Melinda Barnhardt, Secretary; Board Member Heather Addy; members Henry Jud, Jan Kushmaul, Tom Kushmaul, and Peg Stephens; new attendees Debby Boyd, John Boyd.
- Welcome: Teena Siebold opened the meeting with introductions and a brief description of our organization’s past activities for the new attendees. Discussion then centered on the Mueller Report.
- Clark County Democratic Party (CCDP) Marching in Memorial Day Parade, Monday, May 27, 2019: Arrive by 8 a.m. to march. Parade starts at 9 a.m. For where to meet, check the CCDP website.
- DC Trip, Sept 25-Sun. a.m., Sept. 29, 2019: Transportation, accommodations, and tickets (e.g., to museum or White House) will depend upon the number going, so a sign-up form will be sent out soon. Thursday to be a lobbying day, followed by weekend tourism. Members of the WIN have expressed interest, and other area progressive organizations may join in. Melinda will check with Brad for further details and the sign-up form, to be shared with the Leadership at its next (June 6, 2019) meeting, prior to posting on the website and Facebook, and in the WIN newsletter. Melinda will also check with Cindy Young regarding the website’s ownership/administration.
- National Issues: 1) Supreme Court: There are 20-25 anti-abortion cases in the pipeline for the Court. John Boyd put forth an interesting argument that life begins not at conception but at first breath (spirit). Discussion took place on whether the Democrats should compromise, apologize, or be reticent on issues such as abortion and gun control (e.g., “No one likes abortion, but . . .”). 2) Tear Down Davidson”: Consensus was that the Ohio Democratic Party’s campaign to “Tear Down Trump” (through protests with signs drawing attention to his broken promises) is a good strategy to help defeat Warren Davidson, who will be up for re-election in 2020. Teena will contact ODP Chair David Pepper, who has offered to put us in touch with other groups who can help.
- Local Issues: 1) Abortion Bill: There is a link on our Facebook page to a group that will provide travel and gas assistance to women who will need to go out of state for abortions, once the Ohio “Heartbeat Bill” goes into effect. 2) KKK Counter Protest: The Dayton NAACP is sponsoring an Afternoon of Peace, Love, Friendship, and Diversity, McIntosh Park, Dayton, May 25, 1-3 p.m. 3) House Bill 6: Only purportedly for Clean Water, per environmentalist Steve Schlater. We need to get this on our website.
- Summer Plans: No regular meetings in June and July, but there may be a social gathering based on a poll to be sent out. Keep an eye out for summer email/ postings – particularly for the projected July retreat! Help is needed for the Summer Arts Festival; see its Facebook page.
- New Business/Discussion: The June 6 Leadership meeting needs to address T-Shirts.
- Announcments: CCDP Executive meeting, June 19, 6:30 p.m., UAW 402; WIN meeting, July 10, 6 p.m., Main Library.
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, August 20, 2019.